Submission to Upper Hutt City Council Annual Plan 2013/14
Friends of the Hutt River is a group of Upper & Lower Hutt residents whose concern is the Hutt River and its tributaries. Our vision is: The waters and margins of the Hutt River and tributaries are healthy and vital, for the benefit of all.
We add this submission to the Draft Annual Plan 2013/14.
- Hutt River Health
- We would like to see a focus on Hutt River Health by the Upper Hutt City Council
- To this end we would like financial provision to identify terms of reference for a Hutt River Health Group.
2. Water Supply
- We understand the need to plan for resilience in emergencies and ask that Upper Hutt City Council include the following in the annual plan: investigate the feasibility of provision of household water tanks for emergency supply.
- Household water tanks need to be at least 1000litres to support an average family for three days in an emergency.
- We would like to see the Upper Hutt City Council support our call for an independent review carried out on the GWRC’s handling of the drought experienced in the Wellington region this past summer.
- We are strongly opposed to dams on the Hutt River or any of its tributaries.
3. Protecting current & future water catchments
- We strongly support protecting current water catchments and would like to see Upper Hutt City Council support our call for GWRC to include financial provision for work other than flood protection.
- The Hutt River and its tributaries need protection from further degradation caused by urban water pollution, rural water pollution and reduction in flow.
- We would like the Upper Hutt City Council to support our call to see a whaitua set up to focus solely on the Hutt River & its tributaries.
- We would the Upper Hutt City Council to support our call for a group to be formed within GWRC to focus solely on the Hutt River & its tributaries.
4. Waipango Swamp/Mangaroa Peatland
- We would like to see Waipango Swamp/Mangaroa Peatland protected from further degradation and restored
- We would like a working group set up to investigate the feasibility of restoring this unique & precious wetland.
- It is an Upper Hutt treasure and unique in the lower North Island
- We would like to see Upper Hutt City Council support negotiation with the several property owners so that further degradation doesn’t occur and to begin restoration.
5. We wish to be heard as part of the submission process and look forward to hearing of a suitable time for our oral submission.
Pat Van Berkel
95 Elmslie Road
Ph: 04 5288072
Cell: 021 145 9789
227c Whiteman’s Valley Road
Ph: 04 528 2288
Cell: 027 497 2761